Tuesday, April 7, 2009

"Borrowing" of Rock Music and Mexican Food

Sometimes I think I might be Jewish. And the fact is that I'm white. I'm almost completely Anglo(aka "very" white), I have no real culture to speak of, I can't dance to save my life, and I've had Scottish shortbread cookies before. But somehow I think I might still be Jewish, even though I am clearly NOT.

The idea first occurred to me first year of college. Somehow people kept wanting me to join their Jewish clubs for JEWISH people. Which I am obviously not. But then I began to think. What if I was? I have darker skin and curly hair, what else do you need? Jewish people are historically very resilient people and I liked the idea. A culture? Something other than a mutt? I could live with that.

But alas, its not true. My parents are even whiter than me and that's kind of a difficult thing to do. They live in one of the most conservative areas of California, which had white written all over it. I think maybe I'll just conform to mediocrity and go back to stealing ideas from other cultures and calling them my own. Just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment